Hydration means keeping your body safe from water deficiency. As we all know that every human body needs at least 50% or more water to keep body hydrated. Our body depends on hydration to survive. Every cell, tissue, and organ in our body needs hydration to work properly. In summers our body requires more water for hydration because of sweating in hot weather.
Why to keep our self-hydrated?
There are many reasons to keep our self-hydrated few are enlisted below
- For the regulation of body temperature
- To keep body joints lubricated
- To keep body safe from infections
- To keep organs working properly
- To increase energy of body
- To keep body active
Signs of dehydration:
If we don’t take enough water or things which keep us hydrated, we may become dehydrated. This means your body doesn’t have enough fluid to operate properly so here are some signs which can indicate dehydration
- Little or no urine.
- Urine that is darker than usual.
- Dry mouth.
- Sleepiness or fatigue.
- Extreme thirst.
- Dizziness or lightheadedness.
- No tears when crying.
Ways to stay hydrated
Here are few tips which can help us to stay hydrated in summers
- Drink plenty of water: water is the important source of hydration so drink water as much as you can. It’s recommended to drink about 8 to 12 glasses of water a day in this way we can enrich our body with water nutrients. If you have trouble remembering to drink water, drink on a schedule. For example, drink water when you wake up, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and when you go to bed. Or, drink a small glass of water at the beginning of each hour.
- Add flavors in water: if you cannot drink plain water much, add flavors like sliced lemon or cucumber or mint leaves to enhance the taste. This will not just hydrate you but will also detox your body.
- Eat water enriched fruits and vegetable: in your daily eating routine consume more of those vegetables and fruits that have high source of water like watermelon, lemon, spinach, cucumber and melon etc.
- Don’t skip any meal: to avoid dehydration 3 times a day healthy food is important especially breakfast because breakfast helps us to be on a healthy track.
- Avoid unnecessary outing: in summers it is better to not go out unnecessarily. It’s better to stay at home during the day. Wait to do anything necessary outdoor activity in early morning or evening when it is cooler.
- Don’t cover your body too much: in hot summer days don’t cover your body with layers of clothes especially your head and feet. Try to wear loose light-colored clothing, it will help maintain a sense of coolness in the blazing summer air.
- Take oral hydration-if needed: If we are extremely active or sick, oral hydrators may help to keep us hydrated. ORS is the commonly used hydrators.
- Take smoothies: yogurt and fruit smoothies are a great, and tasty, way to stay hydrated.
- Avoid junk food: junk food can make us ill like diarrhea, food poisoning, vomiting and typhoid etc. These illnesses can cause extreme dehydration.
Note that water makes up more than half of our body weight. We lose water each day when we go to the bathroom, sweat, and even when we breathe. So, by following some simple routines we can save our body from dehydration and keep ourselves healthy.